Bad recept for fishing: Sunday, sun, heat

Last reports from Skawa river were good. Recently there were major mayfly hatches, and many trout were caught on dry fly.  I headed to Skawa on Sunday, expecting mayfly madness.  

But something was wrong.  Fish didn't bite since early morning on anything. I I started with streamer.

Fished deep and fast channel couple of times. No luck. Then I noticed insects started to hatch. I switched to wet fly imitating emerger.  Also, no bites. I didn't see any fish rolling under the surface and eating these insects.  Something broken int he nature. So many food, but fish don't want to eat it.  


I checked river monitoring station.  It happened that river level raised from 112cm to 132 cm in a day, and flow increased more than twice ( 6,60m3/s vs 14,4 m3/s). Water was very clear. But, the dam discharged some water day before. Maybe that water from reservoir is colder, and temperature in the river dropped, what else? Somehow it spoiled fish feeding mood.  

The water was fantastic. Clear, oxygenated, with deep turquoise color. But....  I missed some heaviness on the end of my line, and I don't mean tree branches and stones.

I moved to Jaroszowice bridge. Always busy, super-popular place. There's other problem with fishing on weekends in sunny weather. Every place on the river with convenient bank access turned to the beach. Bathing is not really possible due to cold water. But there were noisy families, kids wetting their feet in the water, dogs swimming. Typical atmosphere of the beach.  Fishing was already so-so without all these people, and it was getting worse.

I made a break, ran 5 km along the river. There's nice bike trail, good for running too, and very scenic.  

After break, I dressed to my fishing outfit again, and concentrated on Euro nymphing. There's deep slow run with big boulders lying on the bottom. Some boulders are so big, so top part is usually rising above the water, if river level is not very high.  

Surprisingly, I got  a fish. Not big trout, but better than zero. 


 It took Red tag nymph.  I love these files, they are kind of search pattern. If you don't know what to use in any situation, try red tag.

I had another bite (on red tag too), but fish came off the hook in the water.  

After another hour or so, I got another one. 3 fish in 4 hours. That's a success! :-)))

By the way, I asked many anglers today "did you catch anything", and most common answer was "nothing". Im not alone in my pain.  


Also, I checked lower part of Skawa, below Witanowice. There's no trout there, it's occupied by lowland fish such as chub, perch, barbel and common nase. Water also was clear, very slippery bottom. And people beaching everywhere.  

I returned to Jaroswozice, and made another round with wet fly.  When I returned to my car, I found that I didn't close the door!   I frightened that something can be stolen. 


 My precious Thomas & Thomas Contact II rod was there. Shit, very stupid turn to leave precious rod like this.  There was a lot of people around - joggers, cyclists, families. Thanks God there were no thieves among them. 


Well, it was not the best option to choose, but I fed my fishing "hunger".





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1