Tenkara vs fly rod score 4:4

 Today I have day off on my work. My main goal was a doctor visit in hospital in another town. After hospital, I headed to Raba river. It was very clear water, such water is only in spring. In summer, Raba runs dirty because of silt coming from the dam.  

I hit couple of my favorite sports with euro nymphing, and got no bites.  Then I decided to drive home, but to stop on Brzegi quarry.  

There was only one man fishing on Brzegi at a time.  The fishing was slow. I started with my Dragontail Hellbender tenkara rod, and streamer.  

In the beginning  , there was nothing, But around 16:00, after one hour plus something of fishing, I got a strike.  Short but spectacular fight. It's always adrenaline fight, when using tenkara rod, because it's not forgiving mistakes. But I did it right, and nice 45cm rainbow trout landed in my net.


I switched between my rods, alternating between tenkara and Vision Sisu 6wt fly rod, rigged with hopper-dropper set. A big dry fly and small nymph suspended 30 cm from surface.  


No fish produced on the fly rod, but on tenkara I got another one. 


Almost 2 hours passed , and I had 3 fish on tenkara. Score 3:0 


The distance limitation is not that important, because there's a lot of fish cruising near the banks.  My method is like this: Cast diagonally to the side, and move streamer slowly , parallel to the bank. Make short twitching by rod tip, so the fly goes up and down in the water column.


I switched to fly rod.  I noticed there's shool of fish few centimetres under the surface. They are quite far from me, but distance is manageable for fly rod .  I made few false casts, did double haul, and shoot my line towards the target.  Suddenly, something pulled on my line. Fish on!  Damn, it's so heavy. I used micronymph, and 0,14 mm (5,5X) tippet. Quite thin for such fish.  But I did it accurately, let the fish go when it wants to go to deep water, and brought it to the net. What a surprice, it's a crucian carp! On the fly!  Not very often fly fishermen catch that fish.  It's abundant, but not on the fly gear.  I'm very happy!


So thick and fat!  It's my first fish on the fly rod today, but what a special fish!   In the mean time tenkara leading 4:1


Around 18:00, when it's got darker, trout started to rise for insects.  The circles were out of tenkara reach. I concentrated on the fly rod, to use distance advantage.  Trout became more active, and I got 3 of them on the small nymph.


Almost 19:00. I decided I will catch my last fish for today, and leave.  This was the last fish. It was so strong and energetic, I was worrying for my tippet strength.  

The score leveled 4:4. I got 8 fish in 4 hours, and majority of takes were in last 1,5 hours before sunset. This was my best fishing session on Brzegi so far. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1