Białka Tatrzanska, the last wild river in Poland

Białka Tatrzanska is a mountain river , originated in High Tatras, near Polish-Slovakian border.
It's characterized by strong flow, generally high gradient, and very clear water.

Brown trout dominates in Białka as the only species, able to thrive in cold and fast water. I also heard about some graylings, but never caught one in Białka.

The river is typical freestone stream, which changes course often, after major flood. It has wide riverbed, surrounded by gravel bars.


I left my car on the parking spot near the bridge in Trybsz. Then I walked downstream, probing every hole with Czech nymphing.


When I reached natural reservation area (prohibited for fishing),  I found very nice deep pool, where many streams join together.


It was kind of Eldorado. I got a first trout there.


Then more and more. I caught 5 or 7 fish in that pool.


I spotted there's fish feeding on hatching mayflies. Unfortunately, I didnt have dry fly rig with me.
So I continued with Euro nymphing. And it was not bad too.


On the way back, I probed couple other pools, and there was fish in it too. Strange, it didn't bite when I fished it first time in the morning.


Also, I made that selfie photo, near one of the best pools.


When I returned to my car, I took dry fly rod. And I managed to catch two small trouts on dry fly, too.
It was a great day. 11 or 12 fish, in the river, which considered "hard". 

On the way back home, I stopped in Nowy Targ on Dunajec river.
Here I caught nice grayling.


Białka have a special place in my hard since then. True wild river, with no concrete walls, no dams, no weirs. I wish it will be preserved like this for future generations.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1