I love DH, Drwęca pt.1

12 May I took 430 km trip to the city Toruń on the Northern Poland, to meet with Polish enthusiasts of double hand rods and spey casting.

Double handed rods are still exotic in Poland. Not so many fly fishermen practice it.
Drwęca is a big tributary to Wisła, and spawning river for baltic sea trout and occasionally, atlantic salmon. Double handed rods traditionally was a standard for fishing anadromous salmonids on all parts of the world, so it's natural choice that Drwęca became a citadel of movement "I Love DH" in Poland.

13 May there was planned demonstration and test-drive of new tackle from Ego Fly Fishing company: new rods, fly lines and other stuff. Particularly, a highlight was new glass rod Ego Innovative Glass 8'6" 6wt, and new shooting head Ego Tactical Skagit 260 grain.


I came to the river early, and found a place near A1 autostrade bridge.
There's parking in the forest, accessible through "secret" maintenance road (not drawn on all maps).


The place looked very good. I assembled my Winston 14" 8wt double hand rod, loaded with Guideline 3D+ scandi head, in hope of seduce fresh silver sea trout.

There were big fish jumping in the pool. But it didn't bite.


This pool is probably one of the best. It's easy to fish from the left side, where's a high bank.
Wading in many places is restricted, due to high depth near the bank.


Water was dirty after recent shower and thunderstorm. River level around 112-114 cm, flow 28 m3/s. Fish were jumping and teasing me. Quite a big fish, 60-70 cm. Local fisherman said it was a barbel (Barbus barbus), big fish of carp family. They are spawning now, and "mark" their territory by splashing.

I decided to go to another place. I drove few kilometers up river, to the town Lubicz. There's place called "Plaza/Glinki" (The Beach).  Big pool with small stream entering the main river.


I walked to the upper part of the pool. There were also fish jumping.
Here I used smaller, trout spey rod Winston Microspey 11' 4wt and OPST Skagit 250 shooting head.


At some moment, I walked in the shallow water too far, and fell into the deep hole near the bank. It was chest-deep. Water leaked into my waders. Fortunately, I had tightened belt, so water didn't go down to my pants.  Fishing over, need time to dry my shirt.


I ended fishing and returned to the hotel Miłosz in the town Grabowiec, not so far from the river.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1