Rainbow from Skawa river

Another try on Skawa river "no kill" section near Wadowice.
River was low, 104 cm and 5,2 m3/sec. But water was even more dirty than on previous weekend, almost opaque.
In such water, the most reliable method is probably Czech nymph.
I'm more into streamer kind of thing, but let's try with nymphing.

I assembled my 11' 3wt rod Traper Guide nymph, and rigged with hot pink squirmy worm, or "Parkinson", how it's called in Poland.   Pretty soon, I got a first bite. That was decent rainbow, dangerous for my 0,12 mm (6X) tippet.  I played it carefully, allowed to spool out my reel a little bit, then ran downstream and netted it.  Luckily, I netted fish and it self-released from the hook immediately , already in the net.  Nice, strong, bright rainbow trout in perfect condition!




After first fish, I switched to my streamer rod, rigged with OPST Smooth 175, 7,5' sink tip and colorful spurple streamer.  In my previous trip, I got 3 rainbows on this streamer.


This water below the riffle looks like perfect streamer water. But , fish didn't bite. Probably, it doesn't see streamer at all, except if it swims right near the fish nose.


I switched to nymohing again, same pink Parkinson.  Another bite! This fish was smaller, but also fought good.  Native brown trout!


I changed purple wooly bugger to black one, and tried to cast streamer upstream, into the riffle.  Oh, that's the fish!  Another brown trout.... Sadly I lost it .


Later in the evening, I met local fisherman, and he mentioned there's mayfly hatch in the flats, below narrow river section.


I vent to the flats. There were big mayflies hatching.  I didn't have exact imitation in my fly box, so I attached the fly as bis as I found.  Fish were raising, but not very often.

I walked through the flats section, but I had no takes.


Soon, I reached narrow section of the river. There was fish actively feeding near the far bank. The same place, where I caught few browns on dry fly last week.

I did many casts, no takes either. Later, when it was almost dark, and I barely was able to see my fly, I got a fish. The brown trout.  I managed to bring it to the net, but fish rolled in the water and escaped.
Doesn't matter, let's call it water release. I made it to strike my fly, which is satisfactory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1