Skawa, no socks, and meet with fishing dog

Hi my friends! A week ago I received from Germany new micro skagit line OPST Smooth. It looks like ultimate streamer line for trout in small to medium rivers.

We have limited possibilities of trout fishing now, because trout season is closed from 1st of September, and fishing with streamers is prohibited in most of the trout waters.
But, there are few exceptions. Vah river in Slovakia (Jambor weir C&R section), which is open till the end of December. And, "no-kill" part of Skawa river in Wadowice, 45 km from Kraków.

Skawa SK-3 is one of rare places, where one can fish for trout with streamers during season closure.
C&R section goes from the mouth of tributary Ponikiewka (downstream from power station dam), to the bridge in the town Wadowice. It's stocked with rainbows, accompanied by brown trouts and graylings. Water level was 104 cm, flow 5,2 m3/s.

This trip was suggested by fellow fisherman, Ziemek. We arranged a meet, and I arrived to the spot.
Unfortunately, I forgot my socks, because I was wearing sandals on bare feet. It's really bad idea to put waders on without socks. Fortunately, there was sports store "Martes" in Wadowice, 4 km from the place. I drove to store, bought trekking socks, and returned to the river.


The place was looking nice, with fast current and deep holes. But, the river was turbid and dirty.  According to Ziemek, power station dam in Świnna Poręba released silty water from reservoir recently.



I rigged my new rod, Echo Glass 486-4 (8'6" 4wt) with new line OPST Smooth 175 grain, 7'5 S6 sinktip and 5' mono leader. This is my first real usage of this combo.
For such water I chose very colorful streamer, purple bugger with hot pink head.

Soon, I got first fish in the fast water section, below the rapids.



I love swinging this OPST line in such water. Ideal type of river for streamers and ultralight skagit line.


Soon, I got another fish. Same rainbow, they all in range 30-33 cm.


There were other fishermen fishing dry fly. We had a short conversation with other guy, dry fly wasn't very successful. He got only two fish.


In the meantime I got another rainbow on streamer. Same purple bugger.


I fished the most appealing stretch 3 times, over and over again from top to down of the run. Fish weren't biting.  I snagged and lost my precious streamer. It was a sign, that I should change the tactic.


I switched to Royal Wulff TT floating line, 12' mono leader and dry fly.  There was rich insect hatch, of various forms. Small, big mayflies, some stoneflies.  I chose smallest mayfly imitation, as there insects were the most numerous.

Ziemek joined me, also with dry fly.


There was fish rising on the far side, just under the steep bank.  I made a cast across the water to the pocked, and got it immediately. It was a brown trout.


I got few more browns in the same manner. There is quiet water near the opposite bank, but faster current in the middle. Either fish take fly immediately, or fly dragged by the current out of feeding zone.


I got 4 brown trouts in similar manner.
Interesting was behaviour of Ziemek's dog. She's kind of trained fishing dog.


Each time, when I landed the fish, she came to me, inquiring , what's that in the net?
Smells tasty? :-)


That's a joke indeed, no fish was eaten, all released alive.


Ziemek with his fishing buddy


It was a nice trip, short (only half of day), but lot of fun.  Thanks for good company.
I'll look for further possibility to fish this river.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1