Fresh stockers on dry fly

 Brzegi is artifical lake in the city limits of Kraków, actually a sand quarry converted to fishery.

It is regularly stocked with rainbow trout as sports fishery. Recently there was stocking 2 days before, a good sign that trout will be very active.

I arrived to the water at 15:00. There were splashes of trout in the middle, far from the bank.

First I tried to cast a streamer on sinking line, without ay effects.

Then I noticed that trout eating small mayflies. I switched to dry fly line, and attached medium-size CDC mayfly imitation, to match the hatch.

After few hits, I hooked first rainbow trout.

Not bad start. Fish were actively feeding on mayflies. I had few takes, but fish wasnt hooked reliably.

Second one was slightly bigger and nicer. 

Stocked fish are all of merely the same size, 35-40 cm. There were also big ones, but they were jumping in the middle of the lake, out of reach of my casting ability.


After 16:00 sun started to go dogn. Too early, it looks like today there was a daylight savings time adjustment (- one hour). Actually i'd call it "daylight stealing", because they stole 1 hour from the daylight time. 


So, I fished only 1 hour efficiently, then the darkness came and it was barely possible to see my fly on the water. It's a pity I didnt start earlier.  Brzegi has a good potential for dry fly fishing for rainbow trout.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1