Skawa sucks in October

Skawa is one of the closest to my home rivers. Unfortunately, it's always dirty in October due to large quantity of sediments discharged from the dam. The water level was 109 cm and 6,31 m3/s, very low. 

The thing I do love in October is the color of the surroundings. The forest is burning with orange flame. 


I started with nymphing rod, Ego Competitor 11' 2/3 wt.  The weather was shiny.  There were no bites for a long time.  Then I caught and released only one brown trout. 


I covered my favourite run "under the rock" with nymphs and dry fly. No reaction in two hours. It was really frustrating.


Then I returned to the bridge, which is the most popular place. There was 3 men around, casting dry fly. I've seen that small mayflies started to hatch, and fish were picking it.

Most of the hatch occurred in the shallow knee-deep water.


Here's the most frustrating part. I didn't catch anything on dry fly :-(   Nothing. There were couple of attacks on my fly, but not successful.  Usually, when fish is active, you can pull one or two in 20 minutes. I spent 2 hours casting to rising trout unsuccessfully. Maybe, the reason of that is that water was dirty and fish didn't see the fly. They were rising randomly, and chances that fish will rise just near your fly, are very small.

After such fiasco I usually tell myself , don't go to Skawa in October, it's always dirty and bottom is covered with sediment. But due to good memories of decent dry fly fishing in the past, I go over and over again.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1