Biała Przemsza. A break in orienteering competition

Last few days I'm participating in international orienteering competition Wawel Cup.
Competitions are held around city Olkusz. There is river Biała Przemsza nearby, which I wanted to visit.
The river is surrounded by dense forest in most of it's length, and access is challenged.
First time there, I lost lots of flies on the trees, but got only one fish bite.



For now, I visited another place, near the bridge. There is convenient parking spot, where I left my car. River bottom is mostly composed from sand, sometimes mixed with clay. Water is quite clear, but it's easily become turbid, if sand bottom is disturbed by walking.



I started with Czech nymphing, snagged few times and lost couple of flies.  Some older man with spinning gear appeared on the bank. He said greetings and moved upstream from me.

I saw fish rise couple of times, and decided to try with dry fly. There was no hatch, but in such small rivers, fish usually see everything on the surface, and can grab anything which resembles some insect.

I attached caddis imitation with grey CDC wing. This fly is quite big, and can serve as attractor.
I made a cast upstream just near the bank, and got fish!  Not big, but strong trout from small river.



I continued to work upstream and got another trout, but smaller. In the meantime, man with spinning played fish, and bigger one!

I returned downstream, and changed my fly to black wooly bugger.  I got one very angrey attach, big trout almost pulled rod out of my hand . Unfortunately fish lost.



I decided to finish my fishing time, and go to the orienteering competition. When I walked out of the river, man with spinning met me. He told me he is fishing inspector , and he must check my license.
I brought my fishing card, license and proof of payment. He put a stamp to it.   He opened his fly box and presented to me 3 streamers , suggesting that I should try it next time. He said there can be bigger fish, and they are more willing to take streamers than dry fly. He also gave me few nymphs and recommended to use line 0.16 for tippet instead of 0.12.
He also said that today i'm lucky to be here, because water is unusually clear. There is sand quarry enterprise , which drops water contaminated with sand to the river. It makes water very turbid. But today enterprise doesn't work and that's why river is much better than it was 2-3 days ago.
That was very nice meet with this man.  Many good tips, and some flies as a gift.  I was pleased.

After such good start of the day, I drove to Olkusz for participating in orienteering race. Today it was short, but technically challenging course, and I won it.  I got small gift from organizers.
It was so beautiful day!  Nice river, fishing, meet with good man, then I won the race.
I decided return to the river, and try once more.

This time , I started from streamer.  Shortly, I got a fish!



River surrounded by overhanging trees, and it's a big challenge for fly cast. The most usable cast is roll cast.  Like in that place.




And there is fish hiding.  I think the smartest and biggest fish live in places, inconvenient to cast.


I beloved in this river. It's challenging, but it has character. Next time , if i'll have spare money, I want to get 3wt 7' glass rod for such rivers. And sort of microskagit line, to make roll casts in tight places easier.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1