Sunrise. Repaired waders

Early in the morning I drove to Raba, to test leaks in my repaired waders, and maybe catch some fish.
I arrived at 4:10AM, it was still dark. The river was calm and very low (220 cm). While I unpacked my gear, darkness gone, and I started fishing with first light.


First 30 minutes was empty. I got couple of strikes on my colorful wooly bugger, and landed only one small fish.
Then I changed gear to my nymphing rod, and got few small trout. Fish started to bite more actively with more sunlight.


It took quite small brown nymph on size 16. I got few fish, but all were small. I alternated from time to time nymphing and streamer rod, to work the run in different way. Upstream with nymphs, then down and across with streamer. Something should work.

As the sun raised higher, fog cleared. I went upsream to check another run.



There were no takes, so I returned to the riffle. Bigger trout often hangs where riffle enters deeper hole. I caught couple of good ones on streamer in my previous trip.


Another run across hole, yes! Here it is! It was bigger trout, on black wooly bugger.



There were no other bites on wooly, so I changed again to nymphing rod. And after few small fish, I got this one! Nice rainbow, it gave me a good fight, I even ran downstream a little bit to stop it. It took upper nymph, the same small brown on hook no. 16.




That was enough for 3 hours in the morning. I packed my things, and stopped on the gas station for a coffee. I always stop on this station after fishing, it's kind of tradition. Cashier already knows me, he is also fisherman, and often asks, if I catch anything.
35-40 min to drive , and I'm at home.

This was first time, when I used my new hardbite cleats for Simms G3 boots. I didn't feel the difference, because this river has fine gravel bottom and no need for extra traction. You can fish even in the sneakers there.


But for Dunajec, San or Vah rivers with their rocks covered with algae and grass, cleats or studs are essential.

2 days ago, I repaired my Simms Headwaters waders with Aquasure glue from inside. I marked with waterproof pen places, where membrane seeps water on the inside part, and applied some glue to it.
Unfortunately, upper part of the waders looks like a sieve, with too many places where water seeps through. These waders are 4,5 years old. I never glued them before, because I rarely go to chest-deep water, so it was unnoticed. So probable it's a time to replace them.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1