OPST micro skagit setup, first test drive

Recently I received my new single hand streamer setup.
I ordered OPST Commando 175 grain skagit head, and two sinking tips (S2 and S4).

It perfectly matched my Hardy classic lightweight 4wt 8'6" rod.
The reel I took Loop Classic 5-8, a bit heavyweight for such rod. But it was the only one reel with running (OPST Lazar 25lb), so I rigged it all together, and tested for streamer fishing on Raba.

Raba was very low, 232 cm and flow 6,1 m3/s. Water temperature near +3 C, air temperature was +8 early in the morning, +15 C in the middle of the day.



I assembled my tackle - OPST 175 gr head,  S4 sink tip, and 5' fluorocarbon leader.  First fly I used, was black zonker, without success.
Despite nice weather, fish didn't bite. I met few other fishermen , but they also had nothing.

Later, near 10:30, I got one bite on black wooly bugger with orange head.


Fish took the streamer very aggressively, jumped in the air, and self-released from the hook. That was a decent brown trout. I've seen bright yellow-colored belly.

That was only one take :-( . But, the whole setup proven to be usable in such conditions.
Mostly I used "circle C" cast, and single spey cast for left side of the river.
OPST skagit can easily handle tungsten-weighted flies on lightweight rod, without risk of hitting yourself in the head.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1