Brzegi, first fish of the year

 After 1 year break, i'm returning to fishing. I moved to new location, which is very close to Brzegi nr.2 .

Brzegi is artificial small lake, a former quarry. It's popular recreational fishery, stocked with rainbow trout . Also other fish present in it: pike, perch, tench and probably something else. But rainbow trout is top of interest for fly fishermen.

The lake was recently stocked with trout, but due to very intensive pressure on first week, the fish is very wary and spoiled. They often swim near the banks, but ignore most of the offers, like big nymphs, streamers, on spinning lures. 

I found that there's small insects hatching. But they fish do not feed on the surface. They cruising on shallow depth, 10-30 cm from the surface.  I've seen couple of fishermen playing a fish from time to time.  I asked what flies do they use. They responded "dry fly", without specifics. 

But I spent two visits without any results, trying to seduce these fish with dry fly.  Probably they eat something else. And I came to conclusion. They feed on emergers! Tiny insect larva, which go vertically from the bottom to the surface to hatch.  

I tied in big dry fly, and suspended small nymph under it. On the 20 cm depth from the surface.

Soon I had a hit. Nice fish, powerful!  But it tore off my tippet with fly. How is that? Im using 0,145mm or 5X, it's more than adequate for that size of the fish. Rainbows are in 35-45 cm range.  But they are so fast!

I tied in other nymph. Fish on again, now the fight was a bit longer, but the fish also came off the hook.

Only on third attempt I landed a fish to the net. 40 cm rainbow.  They are very powerful for that size, I underestimated them.


In the meantime, my neighbours were catching fish consistently.  I have 3 more bites, and all 3 fish tore off my fly. 


I ran out of small nymphs, as I had very small box with me, mostly filled with dry flies.  I underestimated fighting abilities of these fish.  Next time I need to rig 4X or 3,5X.  

The good part is that it is very close from my home. I can go to that lake any day of the week. It has great potential for the beginning of the season, when mountain streams are not fishable yet.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1