First fish on tenkara. Evening on Brzegi

 Yesterday I got new Tenkara rod from Amazon - DragonTail Hellbender. This rod is positioned as "big fish" tenkara rod, capable to handle 45-55 cm trout.  The tippet recommended is 3x. I decided to try it on Brzegi first. 


I attached silicon worm nymph size 12 and started to twitch it near the bank.  Suprisingly, I got a fish. It was quite big rainbow trout, 50 cm or so. I remembered from Youtube clips, how to fight fish on tenkara rod. I used side pressure to maintain angle between rod and line. Unfortunately I let the fish move into position when angle became nearly 180 degrees, and fish broke off the tippet with the fly. 

It was my first experience of fighting quite big fish on tenkara. I used 5x tippet, too thin for that kind of fish. It deserves 4x or even 3x.

I switched to conventional 6wt rd, Vision Sisu. The rig contains big dry fly (hook no. 10), and tiny nymph suspended under it (hook 18 or 20). When the fish bites, dry fly disappears. Sometimes it's a small fish hitting the indicator.
When the indicator fly disapeared under surface, I raised the rod and felt immediate resistance. Nice rainbow! The fish was fighting relentlessly, making jumps and power runs. I managed to bring it to the net.
48 cm, almost 50.


I had two bites on nymph, but the fish came off. The wind in open area partly ruined the casts, but after 18:00 the wind calmed down. I could stay more, because fish seems to be more axctive in the dusk. But I was barely able to see my fly.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1