Tenkara on small stream

 Today I was in the city park with kids. There is a small stream in the park. The stream is called Prądnik, a Wisła tributary. It goes through the northern part of the city.

There's theoretically a brown trout in it. Also chubs are presented in the lower section. I was a bit sceptical about this stream. There was historically brown trout population, but majority of it in the Ojców national park, out of reach for anglers.  

While my girls were playing in the playground, I assembled a tenkara rod and attached a nymph to it.

I'm using euro nymphing method with tenkara rod in such streams.  The tree branches pose a great danger for the rod, so I should be very cautious.  There were lots of snags on the bottom, due to many logs and dead tree branches in this stream. 

Particularly the place near small tributory inlet looked very perspective.  After few attemprs and snags, I got a little brown trout in it. First trout on Daiwa Expert LT36 tenkara rod. So this rod is finally "christened".

The challenge with tenkara is snags. Tenkara rods are very delicate, and you cannot pull the line with the rod, using brute force. Either the rod itself can break, or the lillian (small cord, used to attach line to rod tip).  So, the procedure for unsnagging is like this:  collapse the rod in full, get to the location of snag as close as possible, and pull the line to break it off. 

I broke off 5 or 6 nymphs. The one I got fish on, was with bright pink head, and brown body, 

I spend 1,5 hours on this stream, and my girls wanted to go home. I didn't have other bites. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1