High water surprise

Due to 6 days of intense rain, all rivers in Southern Poland were blown out. I wanted to go to Slovakia on last day of trout season on September 30. But, Vah river level was too high for 4 days, so it was not an option.

I checked Polish river level monitoring stations on http://monitor.pogodynka.pl/
Raba near Kraków was on acceptable level 260 cm and flow 14 m3/sec.
I was pretty sure river was dirty, but I decided to give it a try.

Teaser!


River level was 30-40 cm higher than usual summer flow. So, when I crossed the river, water was up to my crotch in the deepest part, although it's usually near knee level.


The conditions complicated by dense fog. Everything was cloudy - water and air.
So I crossed the river, and started to run my Polish nymph setup.  Deep hole where I usually fish in, was unreacheable, and there was too high velocity. I decided to concentrate on shallow water near the bank.



When I retied my fly, I've seen big fish splash just 2 meters from the bank, in very shallow water. Oh, shit! That was a big fish. Normally, fish don't visit such places very often, but in milky water it seems to fins a better conditions very close to the water edge, because current is slower.

So I started to fish the very edge of the water. My theory confirmed, when I heard second splash - same big fish, probably. Here it is! I must catch you. 

Soon, I got a fish, it was a small brown trout. Obviously not the one, which jumped.
I changed location, moved to the gravel bar near tailout. Knee-deep water, moderate current.
It looks like good place for graylings. So I tied small parkinson as bottom fly, and no. 18 grayling micronymph to the dropper.


Maybe after second or third cast, I got a fish. Oh, grayling!  Now I'll bring you to my net. Oh,noooo!!! What? Not grayling?  Initial impression was wrong. Fish was stronger than I supposed. I released brakes on my reel to let it go and protect 0.12mm tippet.  Fish fought fiercely, my rod was bent almost to circle. I netted it from first attempt.

Woooaaah! What a fish! Nice, thick 42 cm rainbow trout! For Raba, this is a success.
Interesting, that fish took brown micronymph on the dropper, not parkinson, which usually favored by trout.


I was satisfied so much, so I decided to stop fishing and go home. For me, one good fish is enough to make me happy for the rest of the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1