Vah, guiding lesson with Peter

Another visit to my favorite Slovak river Vah. This time I booked guiding session with Peter Ďurišík.
Vah is his home water, and I believe he knows that river as nobody else.
We drove to the city centre. River is very shallow there, average depth is below knee level.
Water level measured at Besenova dam was 53 cm, very comfortable.

I rigged my rod with three fly setup: two small dark nymphs as anchor, and on the middle dropper, and spider-style wet fly on upper dropper. 

We started in shallow water near the bank. Soon, I got first grayling on wet fly.  Then it was 3 or 4 fish on the same spot. 3 graylings on spider, and one brown trout on anchor nymph.




It was a cold morning, but good start of the day, 4 fish in short period of time.

Then we moved to deeper spots. Rain started to pour down. I fished for one hour in the middle of the river, there were no fish takes.

Once rain stopped, I moved closer to the bank.  Now Peter spotted graylings feeding on the surface.
Here comes the dry fly time!  It was a hatch of small grey mayflies. Graylings raised here and there.
I got two on nymph.
Peter brought dry line rod, it was Sage TXL-F. So small rod, I think it was 7' 2wt, and very light in hand.

After fruitless attempts to trick graylings, Peter took rod himself and got two of them.
Then I tried to catch some myself. It was tricky, because there was a lot of empty takes. Graylings have a habit to spit fly out in a second.

Finally, I got two graylings on dry fly.



and one nice brown trout as well




When our guiding session ended, Peter drove to his home, and I moved to other location.
I went to Jambor weir, popular spot, famous for big rainbow trout.

But it was too crowded. Im not fan of "combat fishing".



I caught one rainbow on nymph below the weir. Not big, average fish, but it fought hard.


And that was enough for the day.  Good day, meet with good man, everything was fine.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1