Triple happiness

Nice weather in the middle of the week. Why not go fishing?
That's was a spontaneous decision. I tied couple of my new super-secret nymphs: size 18 hook, brown dubbing and turkey biot wraps on the body, and hot pink 2,5 mm head.

That fly was successful for graylings, and I took nice rainbow trout on it last time. So, I hoped that fish will like it again.

Water level was 257 cm, flow 13,7 m3/sec. Quite comfortable for wading.

I started with 3 mm red tag on the botton, and "Mr Brown" on the dropper.
Soon, I got first fish - a grayling on the red tag.  Small grayling, but I love them all.


I know that , where is one grayling, can be many of them. I was in knee-deep water with fine gravel bottom and medium current.  Then I slowly moved couple of steps upstream.

Next time, I got bigger fish. Whoooa, rainbow!  Nice catch!  Calm down, calm down, don't force it, said I to myself. I tried to bring fish closer and net him, but he wasn't ready.
I released reel, and fish ran so far. Almost to the middle of shallow riffle . I ran downstream, trying to overtake fish and catch it with the net from the other side. Soon, I netted it , but I ran down almost 20 meters. What a nice fish!


It also took small "Mr Brown" on the dropper. Love that fly, it always works.

I moved to the hole upstream from the riffle. There was a good take, fish ran away , jumped and came off the hook. Ohhh, what a pity.  Ok, I'll catch you next time.

There was 4 or 5 takes in this hole, and all fish came off. I think all of them were small to medium brown trout.  I decided that something wrong with my fly, dull or bent hook.

I changed my setup to parkinson on the bottom, and Mr Brown on the dropper.
Then I walked downstream a bit, and found nice fast and deep run with rocks, breaking the current.
These rocks must be a good protection, there must be a fish. I ran my nymphs along current seam, and slowly moved downstream after each cast. It wasn't very comfortable because of deep wading.

After 5 or 6 casts , I got a strong pull. Fish on! Goood rainbow. Same size as previous. 43 or 44 cm.
Fish ran down and across to the other side. I let it go and ran to the shallow and safe place .  I sttred fish close to the grassy bank and netted it. What a beauty!




Going further downstream, I met rapids. That place looks very fishy. But I never had any fish in that place before.


There is a deep hole after the rapids. I probed it, but there were no takes.
I skipped next ran, because it looked boring. Then there was another riffle, where river make left turn.



The hole downstream from that riffle looked promising. I tried in in different places. No takes.


So, I decided to stop it and go back . Two good trout for the half of day is enough.
I love that red shrubs, so colorful.


On the way back, I probed hole behind rapids once again. Whaaat, what is that? Fish took my fly almost 2 meters from the bank.  Water was colored, so I didn't see it.  Oh, it's a strong fish. Maybe bigger than previous.

Since I was not wading, I ran downstream on the ground, following the fish. After 20 meters downstream, I jumped to the water, in attempt to net the fish.  There was 4 or 5 unsuccessful attempts. Then I steered fish to the grass and netted.

That was biggest rainbow of the day. 48 cm. So good fight!



It was a perfect day!  3 big trout for 3 hours or so. I was very, very happy.
I returned to my parking spot, and drove to home with satisfaction.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1