Massive march brown hatch

When I came to Skawa, I found that river was vry crowded. There was 8 cars on the parking spot, and 9-10 fly fishermen on the river.  They were beating the water with floating lines, which gave me a hint they using dry fly.

Water significantly dropped this week. It was 160 cm during last weekend. Now it is 125 cm, and 11,2 m3/s. It means you can easily wade, and cross river above and below the bridge in Jaroszowice. At 150-160 cm it is a risky exercise.

I started with dry fly near the bank. Fish were eating mayflies, but not very active.  I think, fish had hard time to choose, what to eat, when hundreds of insects available.


I walked up and down, without success.  When fish doesn't take, it's time to switch gears!

I assembled trout spey rod, Winston Boron iiiTH-MS 4wt. I attached SA spey lite Skagit line, and 7'5 sinking tip.  Few runs downstream, and I got a fish. Small brown trout on white zonker.

When I was casting streamers, I noticed big rainbow trout, just 1 meter from me. Fish was cruising near the bottom, almost near my feet.  Another time to switch gears.

I assembled Euro nymphing rod with two nymphs. Unfortunately, the place I wanted to fish, was already occupied.  So big pressure today :-( .

There was one strong take on nymph, probably rainbow. But fish lost.

After long and unsuccesful walk upstream and downstream with the nymph, I decided to switch back to dry fly rod. Back to basics :-)

I walked to the bridge, and noticed, fish eating insects around boulders. 
Fish were hitting my fly many times, but not hooked :-(
After hour or so, I got small brownee on dry fly.


Surprisingly, most of the crown disappeared. Only 2 fishermen remained on the water.
Hatch almost ended, and there was only single insects floating.
So now my fly got more attention from trout. 

It was evening time 17:00, so I cannot see my fly in low light. Suddenly, there was strong take, fish almost pulled rod out of my hand. 
It jumped few times, and I netted that beauty. Rainbow! On dry fly! This is a success.



I continued for another 30 minutes.  Hatch ended, and fish also stopped feeding.  There were no takes after 17:00.


Later, I switched again to my trout spey rod, and swung streamers across deep hole. Just for fun.


Unfortunately, Skawa became too crowded. There was even car with Warsaw license plate.  And this is working day. I can imagine, what will be there on weekend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1