Not a trout virgin anymore in 2019

After exploring Głogoczowka, I drove towards Skawa.
The river was a bit high, compared to last weekend. Water level 140 cm, and flow 17,1 m3/s.
Too much water to fish in the rapids. So, I concentrated near the bridge area (mostly), because there's quieter current.


The pool near the bridge is so popular, there's always 2-3 fishermen. Today it was also a bit busy, but I found place for myself.
First, I explored water with streamer. I tried black and white streamer, stead swing, twitching and fast strips. No reaction from fish.

Then I moved to the upper pool, 1 km upstream from the bridge. It was very good place for nymphing last year.  But there was too much water. My favorite rock, good to stand on, was completely underwater.


Here's how it looked at 104-106 cm


With such level, it required heaviest nymphs possible, and still I didn't had luck.
So I moved back to the bridge.  I attached light red tag nymph, and soon got a fish.
It was very important for me to catch something, because all my previous trips in year 2019 was empty. So I called myself a "trout virgin".

Not a big trout, but nice rainbow.  I'm not a trout virgin anymore :-)


I fished until 17:00. There was no other fish takes.


But I prefer to fish Skawa at lower levels, 110-120 cm. Easier to wade, and more easy to read the water. Here, above rapids, you can wade across to the other side. But not today.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1