SA spey lite Skagit in action

Today I concentrated solely on double handed rod. It was rigged with Scientific Anglers spey lite Skagit intermediate head (270 grain) + 7'5 sinking tip (type S6) + 5' mono leader.

I started with double fly setup. Purple wooly bugger on the end, and Mallard & clared wet fly on the dropper.

River was high, 160 cm, and 28 m3/s. Temperature +5 C. There was very little possibility to wade, because water was meter above "normal" level.  Spinningists had the advantage, because they can cast from high bank , without wading.  For fly fishermen, it's not always possible to cast from the brushy bank.


I found quieter water, downstream from railway bridge.   There quieter water near the bank, after the rapids.  I swung my streamers through this quieter water.  Soon, I got a fish. Not big one, typical stocked rainbow.


It took trailing fly, which was Mallard & claret wet.


I covered more water, but there was no other takes.
Later, I made a break, and moved to another location.  The place was too much crowded.
I walked some distance from popular spot.

There's wide and waist deep run, suitable for double handed rod.
I changed streamer to black wooly bugger.


In the middle of this run, I had a strong take. It was like a snag. Surely, big brown trout. Unfortunately, it came off the hook shortly.


I could catch more fish with Euro nymphing, staying in popular crowded place.  But honestly, i prefer to cast double hand in open water and broad runs, constantly moving.
It's not about fish, it's about the experience. I love DH!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1