Warta: silent stream

My previous visit to Warta was exactly year ago. I was there two times, and returned empty.
I still have a belief that there is some fish, even if it looks like empty water.

This time I decided to check the river and get more familiar with it, to prepare to upcoming fishing competitions - Warta Cup. This annual event usually held in March, but in this year it was moved to April, because there's usually frigid water in March.

Conditions were good. Level 75 cm at Poraj, steady flow 2,4 m3/s during last month. Water temperature was +6 C, which was promising.

I parked near the bridge on street Nadręczna in the town Poraj. River looked good, with reasonable clarity.
On the left bank, there's hotel-like object or lodging facility. They built fence around the river bank, so it's not possible to access from left side of the bridge.  Fortunately, the river is shallow and wadeable under the bridge.


Below the bridge, there's couple of small rapids. It's always good to fish directly under rapids, or along the border of fast and slow current.


This particular place is ideal for microskagit setup. I used Scientific Anglers spey lite Integrated Skagit line. It fits to that conditions perfectly.


Below the rapids, is a large and depp pool (by Warta means). It looks like perfect water for big brown trout.  I tried different streamers, without contact.
Later, I switched to Czech nymph setup, to fish through rapids directly. I contacted bottom, bumping it with nymph, no luck also.


Isn't Warta a dead river?  It still like a puzzle for me.

Disappointed, I drove back towards Kraków, and stopped on another river, Czarna Przemsza.
There was a commercial fishery, and river was stocked with rainbow trout. 

Czarna Przemsza is very small river, and carries less water than Warta.
The level was 65 cm, and flow 1,9 m3/s. Temperature 7 C measured myself, but station shows 3,8 C.
I tried mostly Czech nymph in deep holes, then I tried streamer in riffles. Even wet fly , although there was chance close to zero. Nothing.

I spoke with fellow fisherman on the bank. He told be there's fish, but there was no stocking in this year. Also, river is affected by construction of new highway, they deposit some dirt to the water, which makes water muddy.

I paid 30 PLN for the license, using mobile application. But I think I will never go there again.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1