How I involuntarily became a Tenkara angler

 Really weird story happened to me.  In my previous trip to Czarny Dunajec, I hooked enormous number of fish, like 40-50 fish in 4 hours. Fish were mostly small, but the count is unusually high for mountain stream.

This time it was not so good. It was very cold and windy. I caught 3-4 small graylings. 

Not even close to my previous trip, when I hooked 40+ fish, and one grayling was about 33-35 cm.


Next I drove to another river, Biały Dunajec. It's only 20 km or so.  I went to the water section in the village, named after the river. This part characterised by many rapids and pools.
I reached big rapids, and stepped into the fast current. My boots slipped on the slick rock polished by water. It's all happened in seconds.... I'm in the water up to my chest, and I hold in my hand only piece of the rod handle.


Fortunately, I didn't break my leg or hand, only rod.  Since it was connected with the reel by line, I caught the missing piece and returned to the stream bank. 

I figured out, that I can still use my rod, holding the line in hand.  Torn off section with reel was resting on the ground. 


Wow, I re-invented tenkara. Isn't tenkara rod supposed to be without reel?


It was fun way to fish, despite I didn't catch anything after this accident.   Also , interesting that the rod section was broken in two places, and missing part gone with the flow.  I only had remained 3 upper sections, short piece of 4th section,  and bottom part of the rod handle with reel.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Vah - river of big fish

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1