Ultimate Tenkara trip. Day 4: OS Dunajec

 On the way back I decided to stop at Dunajec special Catch and Release section, known as "OS Dunajec" in Poland. I woke up at 3:15, packed my stuff in the car , and drove to Krościenko nad Dunajcem.

It was cloudy, and the river was of medium clarity, like 60-70 cm. The river was at medium-low level, 177 cm and 19'3 m3/s. 

First I tried the place near adventure park and auto camping.  I spend 45 min, maybe a hour. No fish.  Strange, because this place was always productive to me. 

I sat in the car and wanted to fish in Księdzowe Pole.  Unfortunately , there is only one parking nearby, and it is marked as private - violators will be towed at their own expense.  

I skipped that place.  On the "Second Wall" also no parking now. It is changed to the bicycle lane.  Looks like provincial government likes cyclists, but hates fishermen.  11 km part of the river, uber-popular among fly fishermen from the whole Poland. The license is not cheap. But parking spots can be counted by fingers of one hand.  

My next stop was in a place called "U Marysi", named after Maria Ligas, the owner of small hotel near the river.  It's popular night stay for fishermen coming to the river, good fishing spots are in few minutes of foot walk from the hotel.

There is very big pool, which usually holds a lot of fish. It works the best for euro nymphing, also good for streamer.  

I used Nissin Zerosum Oni Honryu rod, rigged for euro nymphing. Single nymph, pink "parkinson", is the best option for turbid water. 

At some point, I felt a snag. But it was a fish, big fish!  I saw only silver body in the water.  Not trout. Probably it was nase fish (Chondrostoma nasus). 

These fish are gregarous, and move in shoals. If there was one biting the nymph, there's a chance other fish are nearby. I countinued, and got a strike. Yess, big fish!  The fight started, my heart rate rose to upper limit due to adrenaline.  I must, must land this fish.

The tippet was 5,5x or 0,145mm. I used the rod angles 90-110 degrees to control the fish, and after few runs, moved it to shallow water and netted.

Wow, it's a biggest fish ever I caught on tenkara rod.

How long is it, maybe 50 cm? I put my rod nearby for the reference.


Go fish, go! 


I fished this big pool, until I lost two of my favorite nymphs on snags. 


Then I decided it's time for change and try something different. I re-rigged my rod to kebari wet fly, and moved into rapids and pocketwater section above the pool.


Trout usually found in faster water than nase or barbel. Although they are in the pool too. But fishing in the riffles and rapids is totally different fishing. It's more dynamic and more fun than dredging heavy nymph in the pool. Small pockets in the fast current. Short drifts and precise hits.

Unfortunately, there were no bites.  



I decided to end fishing and go home. I already caught my "fish of the day" on tenkara rod. 

On the way back I passed "Aquarium" fishing site on the end of C&R special section. There was a van of Wojtek Kudłacz, the fishing guide on Dunajec, also known under "Fly Fishing in Poland" brand.  I honked him, but he didn't see me. Probably was busy with his clients. He provides guiding, accommodation in private hotel, also owns small fly shop. He speaks English. If someone wants to get "all in one" package in Poland: fishing , guiding, night stay, and get some excellent flies which work for local rivers, arrange a meet with Wojtek.

Thanks for reading this story, and as we say in Poland: "Połamania kija!" (Break a rod), which means I wish you a good fishing. Bye 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Vah - river of big fish

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1