Ultimate Tenkara trip. Day 2: Witów

 On Saturday I decided to investigate another part of the river Czarny Dunajec.  I used Google maps satellite photos, to locate where are cascades of rapids and waterfalls on the river.  I picked Witów, farther upstream from Chocholów.  

I parked car on the country road, and broke through dense forest and bushes to the river.  The first place I found, was beautiful green pool with calm surface and moderate current. There must be a fish in there!

I used Daiwa Expert LT36 tenkara rod, rigged with two wet flies , as usually: sakasa kebari and north country spider.  Few drifts through the pool didn't produce bites.

I changed one of the flies to small brown nymph, and got a fish. That was a nice grayling. They are rare in Poland nowadays, and I'm glad to see the population survived in this stream.


Everybody loves their big sail-like dorsal fin.



When the green pool was exhausted and didn't produce more fish, I moved upstream. 


This is the place for heavy nymph and euro nymphing. I re-rigged my rod for euro nymphing, it requires shorter line, almost about the rod length. With wet fly I use longer line and long tippet.


Despite attractiveness, there was no fish in these cascades. I walked more upstream. After long flats section (must be good for dry fly), there is a bridge in the village. Above the bridge, there's sequence of powerful rapids, which look similar to each other.

Particularly, this one has strong back current between main flows (white water). So you can drift nymph in both directions, depending on where you cast, in the green water or in the white water.


Next rapids are similar. Same story.  I lost many flies on snags in these rapids.


Above the last rapids, there is an old weir. The fishing is prohibited 50 m from the weir in both directions. I wasn't sure, and started to fish under the weir. There's no warning signs. But I wasn't sure, I checked on the fishing map. This section marked as forbidden area for fishing. It's good that nobody have seen me.  I returned back to the previous rapids.


So, investigation of upper Czarny Dunajec was interesting, but not so productive. Either there's scarce fish population, or fish wasn't in mood due to hot weather and high water temperature.


After few hours of fishing, I tired and wanted some cold beer. There's already camp for festival organized. I joined the party and took some beer and food, met with my fishing friends and colleagues.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Vah - river of big fish

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1