One-day trip to Vah

I recently met Jaroslav, young fly fisherman from Belarus, and we decided to go together for a day trip.
I chose Vah, because it offers big fish opportunity, and not so far from Kraków (2,5 hours by car).

As we arrived to the spot and got licenses, we started from "Pharmacy" hole in Liptovska Tepla.
We had no takes in two hours. Like there were no fish in the river at all. We moved downstream a bit,
and Jaroslav hooked first fish. It was grayling.


As 15-20 minutes passed, Jaroslav's rod bent down again. Lucky bastard! He is novice on this river, and he got second fish in a short time. Shame for me.

Now it was bigger fish, and pulling very hard. I believe it was a big rainbow. Fish won the fight, left Jaroslav with broken tippet. That was a trophy!



We moved to the hole near the white bridge in Ivachnova. I still had no fish, even no bites. I moved to the left bank, where I left my car, and fished from the bank. No luck.
Jaroslav continued from right bank, and again - hooked something big, and lost it due to broken tippet.

As I said , there are trophy trout in this river, so tippet line must be at least 0.16-0.18 mm. I don't remember, which tippet he used.

After some break for rest, and investigation of other places, we moved to the "island" section.
We walked around it. Right side of the island has deep channel near the bank, and Jaroslav caught nice thick brown trout there.  He's leading 2:0




I still had no fish. We moved upstream from the island to fast riffle.


That's place is very dangerous to wade in high water (and can be impossible to reach on some condition), but now it was low water, and quite comfortable.


In this hole I got 4 fish at the same spot, in short period of time. It's happened only after I changed fly to size 18 micronymph. Here I got nice brownee, too




and couple of graylings. So now I was leading the score 4:2 :-)



Later in the evening, we tried to throw streamers and dry flies, but there were no takes on it.

So it wasn't very productive day.  But' each time on this river I discover something new.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1