Łupawa part 2. Old mill in Damno

Next day , I decided to check location called "Damno młyn" (old mill in Damno).
There is a footbridge, which is the end of C&R part.
I parked my car near private lodge, and walked to the river.

All, what remained from the mill, probably these wooden piles in the water.


Stretch above the footbridge is very challenging for fishing. There is a lot of fallen tree trunks and branches in the water. They provide excellent protection for trout, but also numerous chances for snags.

I found nice side channel below fallen tree, and got immediately fish. A grayling! Not big one, but still grayling.  Then I got few more, and lost 3 flies.


I slowly progressed upstream, trying to guide my nymphs alond the hidden channels between obstacles.
In such places, you lose more flies than catch fish. But, it was rewarding.


I cannot say this was fish of my dream. But, the whole Łupawa experience charmed me, so I was happy. Look at these places, simply beautiful.



And these tree branches look like skeletons of dinosaurs.



River was quite wadeable, but occasionally there were deeper spots, above the waist level. Unfortunately, water was turbid with tint of brown after recent heavy rain. So, it wasn't best condition. 

I didn't catch many fish in Damno, maybe 3 browns and 3 graylings. All were small. I returned to my car. There was old lady (presumably lodge owner), who wasn't really excited about my visit. She said this is a private hotel, and parking reserved for hotel guests. So, please ask for permission next time.  I was surprised , because I parked on the grass , which didn't look like dedicated parking stall. 
Will know about that next time.  

I drove to the Łebień , to check the beginning of Łupawa C&R section. The special part starts below the power station dam. I climbed to the railroad bridge, to overview the surroundings.
River under the bridge was raging, too powerful and dangerous for wading or fly fishing . I met some spinning fishermen there, they didnt catch anything.


I returned to the Damnica old bridge, where I fished yesterday. 
I slowly walked downstream in the middle,  casting small wooly buggers to the banks. River is knee-deep in the middle, but there are deeper side channels near the banks. 


Finally, I got small brown trout on purple wooly bugger.


In the end of they day, I found deep hole below big fallen tree.
The place looked like home for some trophy big browns.  But we didn't met. I'll reserve that place for future, it looks like have good potential.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vah - river of big fish

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1