Dry fly on the lake

During my next visit to Moszczanica, weather was better for fishing. No sun, cloudy sky and light wind. Bright sun is good for beaching, but always an enemy for fisherman.

I started with spinning rod, and wobbler (jerkbait), the Salmo Minnow 'Hot Perch'. The first fish I caught, was ironically an yellow perch.  Perch on perch imitation! I love that cute fish, I wish they grow bigger.


But, fishing with spinning gear didn't give me more results. I switched to my Vision Sisu fly rod. I love this rod more and more.


The fish were rising here and there.  I attached big mayfly imitation and soon was rewarded.


The problem with that kind of fishing it, that fish can be anywhere. You can throw your fly to the particular place, and wait. Nobody knows how long.  This is a passive approach. But I prefer to search for fish. Instead of passive waiting, I walked around, watched for circles on the water, and vortices from swimming fish fins.


Trout feeding on insects are slowly moving under the surface. When they see something attractive, they eat it.

I walked around the lake several times. Trout often hide near the grass and undercut banks. So I made my casts not too far from the bank.


The fish were biting regularly. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. I switched to spinning once in the middle of the day and caught 3 trout on small crankbait. Then I switched to fly again. Changing fishing gear and technique doesn't let me get bored. It's all about different experience.


At the end of the day, I got tired. I decided that I will catch the last fish, and go home.  But "last fish" lasted for another hour.  I had 4 takes, and 4 times fish came off the hook.  One of them was big (or just very strong), and the take was so aggressive so it tore off my fly from the leader.

Nearly 17:00 I got my last "last fish" and left the lake.
It's a very nice place, which I want to return again and again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Vah - river of big fish

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1