A Vacation in Western Pomerania. Part 1.

I have a 2-week long vacation and decided to make a trip to yet unexplored part of Poland - Western Pomerania.  I booked on Airbnb an apartment in the suburbs of Kołobrzeg on the Baltic sea. 
The road trip is about 760 km and 7 hours, by Google maps estimation.  But, it took much longer for me, because I planned a few stops to explore small rivers in the Szczecin area.

I drove through Katowice, Opole, Wrocław, and Legnica by A4 motorway. This road is very familiar to me, as I was already a few times in the Wrocław area.  But after Legnica, I stepped into unknown territory. 

S3 motorway, or European road E65, is quite new, and there are few parts still in construction near towns Lubin and Polkowice. But from Polkowice to Szczecin it's excellent, and traffic is moderate.


The road was long. Near 17:00 I arrived to the first small stream in the Szczecin area.  The river looked dark, with brownish turbid water.


For such conditions, I always use silicone worm imitation aka "Parkinson", as it's always visible in the dirty water.  During the first few casts, I got two small fish - perches.  Good start. 
There's a deep hole, and I decided to attach something bigger and heavier to reach the bottom.  I attached a big pink "parkinson" with 4,5 mm tungsten bead. First cast to the plunge pool below the rapids, and there's a fish! It looks like something big! My rod bent, and fish didn't want to come to the surface.   After few attempts, I netted nice, fat brown trout.


That was a great experience which I'll never forget - 5 minutes of fishing in an unfamiliar stream, and I got such a fish. Probably, the most beautiful brown trout I ever had, with big red spots and a fat body.


The whole process witnessed local residents from a small village nearby.  They were very surprised and even indignant that I let this fish go. Unfortunately, Catch & Release ethics do not reach to the people who are used to taking home everything from the river.

I caught a few more perches and decided to proceed to another stream. My second point of interest was 77 km or 1 hour of driving from the previous place.  In the middle, I lost due to road construction and closure, not shown on the navigator map. I lost 40 minutes in an attempt to find the detour around the closed road. 

The roads between villages in Polish countryside often lined with poplar trees. Looking pretty scenic.


I lost again in the roads, so it took me 2 hours to get there. Here's another forest stream. This one had more clear water.


It looks like a perfect trout stream, with many obstacles where fish can hide from predators and lie in ambush. But it's not easy to fish, and access to the water is limited.


I spend an hour there, trying to catch trout. I had only one take and lost that fish. 
I bit of disappointment. But I liked the area, very spectacular. It resembles me river Biała Przemsza near Olkusz in Kraków area.

It was almost dusk.  My host already worried where I am, and when I will arrive. I finished fishing for today and proceeded to my hotel near Kołobrzeg. 

The host was a nice woman. She met me at the gates, gave me the keys, and showed where I can park my car.   I was tired from the road and immediately fell asleep.

To be continued.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Vah - river of big fish

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1