Spinning vs fly - a friendly competition

11th of June was a holiday in Poland - Corpus Christi.  I organized a trip to the fishing lake Moszczanica, with two friends Mark and Oleg. They are skilled spinningists. We decided to make it a friendly competition, what method will take more fish - spinning or fly.

Despite the weather forecast, which promised a cloudy day, it was bright sun and quite hot.


My interest to spinning recently renewed. Thanks to freshly acquired set: Team Dragon HM-X rod (2,45m length, 2-14 g lure weight) , and Shimano Stradic Ci4 2000S reel. I also fascinated with wobblers (crankbaits, jerkbaits), and started to collect them.

In the morning fishing was very slow. We started at 7 AM. Trout were jumping here and there, teasing us. But our lures didn't give much attention.  I had no bites during the first 2 hours. My friends too. I noticed, that there's quite a lot of fish hiding just near the grassy bank of the lake.  I started to pull small Rapala jerkbait along the shoreline, as close to the grass as possible.

The tactics have proven to be successful, and at 9:00 AM I got first fish. Not a big one, but the count started.


Here is my first successful lure on this lake, Rapala X-Rap Countdown, weight 4 g, swimming depth 0,6-1,2 m. I also replaced trebles with single barbless hooks on all my lures.


Another hour passed without catches. We took a short break for lunch.  Guys gave me some sandwiches and cola.  After the break, I took my fly rod.   I tied in very small dry fly on hook size 18.
My fly landed still on the surface. There was no cruising fish nearby. I didn't pay attention to it, and even didn't look to the water.  While I had conversation with friends, someone almost yanked the rod out of my hand. There's a fish! Trout was bigger than my previous and much stronger. It made few jumps, and fast runs to the deep water.  Oleg took my net, and helped to land it. Here it is, beautiful rainbow trout. 53 cm, on dry fly, that's a winner!


Thanks to the guys for this "hero shot".


I didn't know that Mark recorded a video of the fish fight and landing.


and it was released



Later, I switched again to spinning rod and jerkbaits. I attached  Salmo Minnow "hot perch" sinking bait, weight 5 g, swimming depth 0,8-1,5 m


Now I was throwing my lure still near the bank but to the deeper water. This bait swims deeper than the previous Rapala X-Rap. Soon, I got another nice trout, which gave me an excellent fight.


Later, another trout smaller than previous fought so aggressively, so it jumped and tore off my jerkbait. It was a nice lure, but the only one of such kind in my tackle box.

At noon, the big brown mayflies started to hatch. Trout totally switched to feeding on these insects. It's a time to take fly rod.



I bought this rod Vision Sisu 9' 6wt almost year ago, specifically for stillwater trout fishing. It didn't get much of use, because I prefer 3-4wt class rods for stream trout and grayling.  But today were ideal conditions for this rod. It has fast section, but not too overly fast, and allows to make narrow tight loops to shoot line through the wind.


The rod was pleasure to cast. Trout were taking my dry fly with pleasure.


I caught 7 or 8 fish in the row, all on the dry fly. So, for today fly fishing method has won over the spinning.


The guys were jealous, looking as I pull out fish one by one. I think they started to hate me :-)


Closer to the evening, the promised rain started.  We decided to drive to the home.


It was a very great holiday, and I enjoyed every moment.  Thanks to the guys for the good company. Thanks to Moszczanica owner for caring about fish and fishermen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Vah - river of big fish

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1