A Vacation in Western Pomerania. Part 2.

The next day I dedicated to Parsęta river exploration. Parsęta is a famous sea trout river in Pomerania. It has a windy course and takes many smaller tributaries along the way. Fishing for Baltic sea trout is the main attraction there, but upper parts of the river also hold a population of native brown trout and grayling.

The first location I chose was the Rościno hydropower plant. The dam blocks passage for anadromous trout further upstream. So, theoretically, there's a concentration of fresh sea-run fish in this area.

After 40 minutes of driving, I arrived to the power plant area. The river was very shallow at this time. The level 202 cm (Bardy), flow 17,4 m3/s, temperature 18,8 C. At Rościno 84 cm and 6,9 m3/s.
It was a surprise that I can wade and cross river from side to side in this place.

I assembled Vision Sisu 6wt 9' fly rod with OPST Smooth integrated skagit line.  Water was turbid, so I attached hot pink streamer, for better visibility.

Then I stepped in the middle of the river, and worked through the run.


After shallow part, there was waist-deep hole ahead. Looks like good place for sea trout to hide, especially near the bank in the shadow of the trees.


Down below, the river became more extreme for fly fishing. Too many dead trees in the water, and branches over the head. I switched to spinning, as more convenient for such conditions. I attached a small jerkbait, 5cm Rapala countdown.


I walked 500 m down, fishing in places where I can get to the water. It's not always possible with dense vegetation. No signs of fish, and no bites followed.


Then I decided to move to the section of the river, called "The three bridges". No paved roads go there. I drove through a very rough forest service road, which was a bit extreme to my car. With speed 5-7 km/h and risk damage undercarriage or suspension. When I drove to one of the bridges, I found that river is almost impossible to fish with my methods. Upset, I drove back to Rościno village. I only lost time.  That's a common problem, when you unfamiliar with the area, and trying various access roads to drive to the river.  Hiring the local guide can save you a lot of unproductive time for pure fishing. I understood that when I was in Norway, searching for Atlantic salmon. Unfortunately, I don't know guides in Parsęta area.

The next part of my plan was to visit the upper section of Parsęta near village Żarnowo. There's Catch and Release trout section, which promised to hold a lot of fish.

I drove another 55 km upriver.  After crawling through the final section of unpaved road, I came to Żarnowo.  Whaaat? The river in Żarnowo looked too small. Really, it's a tiny creek, 2-3 m wide, surrounded by tall reeds and grass.

I chose ultralight spinning there.  Very soon, I hooked a trout on crankbait. But it fell off the hook. Then I hooked probably the same fish again and lost it the second time.  I walked around. The area is very difficult not only for fishing but just for walking. The grass, which is as tall as human figure. A swamp that sucks you. Once I stuck knee-deep in swamp, and can't get my feet out of there for 5 minutes. Terrible experience. I didn't catch anything and was disappointed.  I'd never go again to this part probably.

On the way back, I drove through very picturesque county road 172, which goes through the forest.
I love Polish countryside roads when the pavement is of good quality.


My next stop was the Osowko area, which is about 40 km downstream from Żarnowo. The river is much bigger there, after receiving water from a few tributaries.


The section between Osowko and Rzyszczewo goes through deciduous forests. There's a lot of fallen trees and branches, which makes fly fishing tackle useless in most of the places. I switched to spinning again. 


The area looks like a jungle. Beautiful, but easy to leave all your lures or flies on the trees.


I moved to Rzyszczewo. The river looks more friendly, quite shallow and wadeable. I used a fly rod with nymphs there.  No reaction from fish, only lost a few flies on the trees.

On the way back, I stopped near the fields of poppies to take photos.


Perfect location for "girly" photo session.  Chicks do love post photos in poppies on the Instagram.


In the evening, I took my beer, and went to the beach which is 10 minutes to walk from my hotel.


The seaside looked so warming in the evening hours.



To be continued

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dunajec - lower special C&R section

Vah - river of big fish

Chasing Norwegian salmon in Mandalselva. Part 1